Wednesday, April 23, 2008

stone



The whole time I was in France, I was entranced by the long human relationship with stone. Who, I mean, really, who among us was the first one to look at a jagged piece of rock and think...I could take a year or two of my life, find some tools, chip away at it and turn it into something like these:
(as always, high-res pics, click to really see the sculpture)



It's an astonishing leap, isn't it? A leap of imagination, of mind, of concept, of art, of madness.


2 comments:

Erin said...

That is very interesting to think about.

(btw, I read Skin Hunger, and I loved it. It was painful for me to read, but not in a bad way. Maybe more in a I-have-a-hard-time-stomaching-injustices way. :) I can't wait for the second one. It was a beautiful book.)

kathleen duey said...

erin,

Thanks for reading Skin Hunger--and your kind words about t. parts. Sometimes when I am working on it, I have to walk away for a while. But it often follows me out the back door, all the way down to the garden, and I have to pull weeds and plant tomatoes while I worry about Sadima and Franklin. And Hahp. And Gerrard, who is special to me in solid, deep ways.

k. And now, back to work.